Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Easy Brezzy M7350


This dress is a part of a series of the knits I planed on making this summer. Two down, two more to make.


M7350

 I bought this fabric along with several other prints, including the print I used for V8825 .


 😊

I am sitting here trying to think of something witty and or informative, I've got nothing. So here is another pic:


My summer parasol 

Uh, no still nothing. Here is another pic:


Don't even have a quip for the pic


OK, this is becoming repetitive, one more pic and I'm done:


Seriously I'm done



As always, one stitch at a time.









Cool Summer Breeze Butterick 5603


 My goal this summer/fall is to sew up what patterns I do have, and I've decided to start with:



 B5603
                                                  

Here is a close up of the inner bodice:





Over the years I have tried many was to cut out my pattern pieces. Currently I am using a combination of pins (on the curves) and food cans to hold my pattern pieces in place.  

I also use the fabric piece to cut out the lining, making sure that they will be a equal match:


Bush's beans helping me hold it down :-)


I decided not to add the shoulder bow ties for now (maybe I will later). However what I did add was a back tie, which helps when my weight fluctuates from time to time:


back view 


In order to hem the dress, I decided to sew the skirt lining to the bottom of the skirt. Once attached, I turned the skirt lining inward and under stitched to finish the look:


A closer look at the finished hem after pressing
                               

This technique gave the skirt a slightly fuller look, which is perfect for a dress of this style:

full front view 


and this:


TADA :-)
                                     

The dress was a simple sew, nothing out of the ordinary.  I did do a FBA and lowered the bodice so that it would be in better proportion for my body type. 

Depending on the fabric, say broadcloth or poplin, I can see it being a simple pull over your head and go sun dress: 

  
close up and side views


And as always here are my takeouts:



Ahhh/sick of taking pics


Well that's it for now, hopefully my other retro/vintage dress well be a 'breeze' to sew as well.  Until then one stitch at a time, one stitch at a time........




McCalls wrap dress sew a long reveal of Butterick 5030


Sorry I am a week late, to be honest I finshed a week early, however I had several events to attend, which set me behind.

Enough of that here is my finished look:





I made a few changes to the original dress, in the beginning I made view E which had a collar and long sleeves. After trying the dress on I wasn't feeling the collar, I think it was due to the fabric I used it didn't seem to lay the way I wanted. 





The other thing I noticed is how the dress looked when the facing remained outturned. The result was a slight high collar and a more modest (for me) neck line.

However, I had used every inch of my fabric so I didnt have enough to finish the facing, I decided to use an old technique my Godmother showed me from an old Vogue pattern using interfacing:



Sewing the knit interfacing to the dress facings as though it was fabric, I simply turned it over to the wrong aide,  pinned it down, and ironed it on as usual. The result is a nice finished edge:




The other change was making tie ends instead of using hooks and eyes. I thought this would be better, in that I could control how tight or loose the dress would fit. Also I felt it gave me more security from the dress opening:



and turn...




After working with the fabric I decided I will not be using the blue fabric for B6054. I feel the fabric would be slighñy to heavy for pleatings on the front of the skirt.

I will be using a cute ITY yellow and polka dot fabric in its place. Hopefully I will be finished with it to post next week:




Until then, have a chuckle at the silly out takes and I'll see you next time:

One stitch at a time............



Wednesday, July 6, 2016

My All Season Dress V8825



Sorry for the long absence........

The first part of the year was a month long visit to Philadelphia with a close friend for a stem cell transplant due to Multiple Myeloma. Am happy to say she is in remission!

Once I got back I was immediately offered a simple part time job, which took me awhile to get it, and the rest of my life into a rhythm.

Mostly though I haven't had my mojo to sew,

'EH'

That was the sound that would come out my mouth when I passed my sewing machine.

Then one day while browsing Fabric.com I came across this lovely peace of fabric:



2way stretch ITY knit




Now this is what am talking about, this had to be turned into a dress, but not just any dress an All Season Dress!  Then it hit me V8825:




The model looks like she doesn't like the dress




But I do:



Yep!



I do



If you take a closer look you will see I've made adjustments to the sleeves, oh where are my manners let me show you:




Right here




I would say the belt is another favorite detail of the dress:




There that's better




I even bought jewellery for it:




Accessories add just the right touch


Sometimes when you get into a sewing funk, the best thing you can do is find a piece of fabric for inspiration. And now that I have, am happy to say.....




I am back!



As always, take each day one stitch at a time!