Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

McCalls wrap dress sew a long reveal of Butterick 5030


Sorry I am a week late, to be honest I finshed a week early, however I had several events to attend, which set me behind.

Enough of that here is my finished look:





I made a few changes to the original dress, in the beginning I made view E which had a collar and long sleeves. After trying the dress on I wasn't feeling the collar, I think it was due to the fabric I used it didn't seem to lay the way I wanted. 





The other thing I noticed is how the dress looked when the facing remained outturned. The result was a slight high collar and a more modest (for me) neck line.

However, I had used every inch of my fabric so I didnt have enough to finish the facing, I decided to use an old technique my Godmother showed me from an old Vogue pattern using interfacing:



Sewing the knit interfacing to the dress facings as though it was fabric, I simply turned it over to the wrong aide,  pinned it down, and ironed it on as usual. The result is a nice finished edge:




The other change was making tie ends instead of using hooks and eyes. I thought this would be better, in that I could control how tight or loose the dress would fit. Also I felt it gave me more security from the dress opening:



and turn...




After working with the fabric I decided I will not be using the blue fabric for B6054. I feel the fabric would be slighñy to heavy for pleatings on the front of the skirt.

I will be using a cute ITY yellow and polka dot fabric in its place. Hopefully I will be finished with it to post next week:




Until then, have a chuckle at the silly out takes and I'll see you next time:

One stitch at a time............



4 comments:

  1. Lovely dress! Great tip on the facing too. Keep sewing & posting!
    www.sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this on YOU!!! The color is AWESOME too!!! Thanks for sharing the tip ... FIESTA :)

    ReplyDelete